Wednesday, June 16, 2010

AN INTERVIEW WITH BOBBY CONNER

A very promising addition to the Golden Eagles is forward Bobby Conner who played for the Philadelphia Junior Flyers last season.

In 42 games the 21-year old forward (who's 5'10" and 192-pounds) had 51 points on 22 goals and 29 assists, good for a stellar average of 1.21 points/game.

He is used to putting up huge numbers, having had a 71-point season for the Junior B Central Penn Panthers two years earlier.

I recently interviewed Bobby so the players, alumni and fans could get to know him.



Tell us about your hockey history...


I started playing hockey at the age of four, when my dad took me to a hockey rink in Lancaster for a afternoon public skate. Since then I have been interested in hockey and have been playing ever since. I played for the Central Penn Panthers pretty much my whole life from squirt minor up until playing for their Jr. B team. After my last Jr B. season there, I then went down to the Philadelphia Jr Flyers Jr A team for my last two seasons of Junior hockey.



If Brockport had a weakness last season it was the team's ability to score a lot of goals. You'll be able to help out in that department, having put together a 51 point season (in 42 games) for the Junior Flyers. How would you describe your style of play and what are your greatest strengths?



I think that my style of play is a small power forward with a passing ability. Some of my strengths that will be able to help out the team are my protection with the puck along with anticipation with the puck. I also believe that I am sound in the defensive zone as well.




Tell us about the biggest goal you've ever scored...

The biggest goal that I have ever scored was at the 16 Under Tier 1 Nationals in 2004. We were playing against Mid Fairfield in the round robin and the game had went into overtime.I received the puck in the slot off of a rebound and scored up over the goalies right shoulder. That was the biggest goal that I have ever scored.




What was it about Brockport that you found so attractive as both a hockey player and a student?



What caught my attention about Brockport's hockey program was the way the coaching staff and the players made you feel at at home when I was up for my visits. I have also been to a couple of the home games this past season and the atmosphere was unbelievable at the games. I also feel like I play the same style of game as the team does.

As for being a student, the size of the campus felt just about right, not too big and not too small. I also liked how it was a nice little college town, it was able to give me that at-home sort of feeling which I thought was nice.


What degree will you be pursuing in the classroom?



I am going into school as a undecided because I am contemplating which major I want to pursue, which is between Physical Therapy and Sports Management.




Who are your all-time favorite NHL-ers?


My favorite NHL-ers of all time would have to be Peter Forsberg and Joe Thorton.