Monday, August 10, 2009

CROWLEY JOINS POTSDAM COACHING STAFF


In May, Tim Crowley graduated from the College at Brockport after an enjoyable and productive 4 years in the hockey program. Last season, he had 27 points. In his junior year he was arguably Brockport’s best player down the stretch when he had 19 points, 13 of them in January and February when Brockport was trying to make the playoffs.

Tim has always played the game the right way. Now, he’ll be coaching it the right way.

Tim was recently hired as the assistant coach for Brockport-rival Potsdam, joining Chris Bernard on the restructured coaching staff of a competitive team that went 6-6-4 in the SUNYAC last season and has a long history of success.

Brockport opens it season against Tim’s new team on October 30th. I recently interviewed Tim for BrockportHockey.com. Here’s the conversation…



How does it feel being hired by a team that was your enemy for four years?

I am really excited about the opportunity that I was offered and I am very thankful to Chris Bernard. As far as being offered the job in Potsdam ,to be honest I never felt they were much of an enemy because they were from my hometown so I always looked forward to competing against them.



Being that you're from Brasher Falls, which is basically in Potsdam's backyard, being able to coach your hometown college must be a hockey-dream-come-true...

Absolutely. I feel very fortunate that I have this coaching position because it was something I had always wanted to do when my college career came to an end. That, combined with the fact that it is essentially in my backyard, I would consider it a dream come true.


What do you see as some of Potsdam's greatest strengths heading into the 2009-2010 season?

I feel that we will be a team that will work hard day in and day out. I think that we have the talent to be a top team in the SUNYAC.


Brockport and Potsdam are long-time SUNYAC rivals and you'll get to see your old team twice a season. I imagine that has to be bittersweet and exciting at the same time...

I am sure that when the day comes it will be quite nerve wracking but at the end of the day I still want to win, regardless of who the opponent is.


What sort of experiences from your Brockport days will you be bringing with you to your coaching role?

I learned quite a bit throughout the past three years being coached by Coach Dickinson and Coach Digby. I will try to bring those experience and my own knowledge to the way I coach.