Tuesday, November 2, 2010


This week's Stylus offers this report on the past weekend's games...

Ice hockey starts 2010 cold
Andy Lipari

It's a horrible start to the season for The College at Brockport hockey team following a 5-2 loss to Potsdam on Friday, Oct. 29 and a 7-3 loss to Plattsburgh Saturday, Oct. 30.

Brockport fell into a quick 0-2 hole in the SUNYAC conference, 0-3 overall, with teams at the bottom of the conference looking like they have improved early this season.

In both games, Brockport showed signs that they could come away with a win. The Golden Eagles' Tom Galiani scored his first goal of the season at 12:15 in the first period against Potsdam, Friday. But the opponent's player Colin MacLennan scored late in the first to tie the game at 1-1.

Potsdam dominated the second period. Fraser Smith and Brandon Couto scored for Potsdam in the second period to give the Bears a 3-1 lead after two periods. MacLennan gave Potsdam breathing room with two goals in the third to earn a hat trick.

Mike Hayward then tacked on a late goal for Brockport.

Saturday, looking to bounce back after an ugly loss, Brockport ran into a team they haven't beat since 1983, the Plattsburgh Cardinals.

Brockport Head Coach Brian Dickinson talked about not taking too many penalties against Plattsburgh before the game.

"As we have seen through the years when we take a lot of penalties, those are the long years," Dickinson said. "We are taking so many penalties and are giving up power-play goal after power-play goal. They always have a lot of talent."

Plattsburgh's talent was too much for Brockport from the start. The Golden Eagles took six penalties and Plattsburgh turned three of those power plays into goals.

Vick Schlueter scored Plattsburgh's first goal on the power play at 6:59 in the first period. The assist was from Eric Satim, who got credit for two assists on the night. He was a terror for Brockport to try and control all night.

Plattsburgh added on to its lead in the first period. Kyle VanDermale and Dan Sliasis both found the back of the net to give the Cardinals a 3-0 lead.

Brockport came out in the second period and gashed into Plattsburgh's lead. Ray Tremblay wristed one by Plattsburgh goalie Ryan Williams, and Ian Finnerty had a shot bounce off Williams' glove to make it 3-2 with just over five minutes into the second period.

"We had that six-minute spurt where we couldn't do anything wrong, where we were keeping it simple," Dickinson said. "Our guys had a lot of jump, and we were making five-and six-foot passes instead of 85-foot passes."

It was all Plattsburgh after that. Kyle Kudroch and Ian DeLong put the puck in the net in the second period for a 5-2 lead. Nick Jensen and Dylan Clarke added goals in the third for Plattsburgh and James Cody tacked one on late for Brockport to end the blow out.

"We talked about this being a work in progress and we have to continue to get better," Dickinson said. "We aren't a finesse team. The sooner we learn we are a lunch pail, blue collar team, the sooner we'll start having success."