Tuesday, November 21, 2023

Holland commits to Brockport




Mike Holland
, a forward for the Connecticut Chiefs, has committed to SUNY Brockport for the fall of 2024.

The '03 native of Portsmouth, NH is in the middle of his second season of junior hockey, and first at the Eastern Hockey League (EHL) level. Holland's first year of juniors (2022-23) took place at the Eastern Hockey League Premier (EHLP) level, with his time split between the Railers Jr. Hockey Club and the Chiefs.

Overall to date, Holland's career numbers stand at 29 points in 41 career games in the EHLP, and three points in his first 15 games in the EHL.

"Mike is a hard-nose, 200-foot player, who competes every shift," said Chiefs head coach and general manager Greg Heffernan. "Brockport just got a player who focuses on process over points, and self sacrifice for the betterment of the team. He will thrive in Coach [Brian] Dickinson's program."

Speaking of the Brockport hockey program, the Golden Eagles have always heavily recruited players from the EHL, and look no further for proof then the 21 alumni currently on the roster.

As for next fall, Holland is now one of two EHL players that have committed to Brockport so far this year, as he will team up with Connor McAleer from the Railers when he arrives on campus.

"God really answered my prayers and felt that it was his will for me to commit to SUNY Brockport," said Holland. "When I toured SUNY Brockport, I saw first-hand their amazing athletic facility, amazing campus, education, coaching staff and hockey program. Coach Dickinson is tremendous coach, and the players on his roster told me so many great things about how much he cares about them on and off the ice, and how he wants to help them grow as students and athletes. Coach Dickinson was very open, honest, and supportive to me and my parents when we met. Another thing that really helped is he loves the type of player that I am and is confident on what I can bring to his team and to the school as an athlete and student. I’m very grateful that God has led me to the Connecticut Chiefs organization to play under Coach Heffernan and the other great coaching staff. My teammates and coaches have really helped me to continue pushing me to develop at my role and being a leader, both on and off the ice."

Holland is the 2nd Chief in three years to choose Brockport, as he will follow the path paved by Dominic Chirico back in the 2021-22 season.