Wednesday, December 29, 2021

Chirico commits to Brockport




Dom
inic Chirico of the Connecticut Chiefs has committed to SUNY Brockport for the fall of 2022. 

The ’01 native of Overland Park, KS is in his final season of his junior hockey career in the Eastern Hockey League (EHL).

“Dom has been a great leader for us this season,” said Chiefs head coach and general manager Greg Heffernan. “From the first time we spoke this summer, I knew Dom was going to be able to achieve his goal of playing NCAA hockey. His versatility and high compete level are second only to his incredible character.  I’ve known coach Dickinson for a long time, and I know Dom is going to fit in perfectly at Brockport”

This is Chirico’s second season in the EHL.  Last year, he managed put up 26 points in just 42 games as a defenseman.  This year Dom returned to the Chiefs in the role of team captain to lead the Chiefs and bolster the D-core.

“I’m very grateful for the opportunity to join the Golden Eagles and play at SUNY Brockport for the next 4 years. Brockport has a beautiful campus and great academic options for me to pursue my goals.  I would like to thank my family and friends for sticking by my side throughout my whole hockey career.  I would also like to specifically thank Coach Heffernan for all his help in this process. One of the big things as a team that we have been focusing on under his leadership is sticking to our style of team hockey and individual success will follow.  This commitment is not only for me but for every other guy in our locker room that shows up every day working to win a championship and more importantly, developing to get to the next level.” – Dominic Chirico 

“We have a very deliberate model here centered around player development and exposure” said Heffernan of his program. “Dom has bought into the process and earned his commitment to a great NCAA program. I suspect that many of his teammates will be following in his footsteps soon.” 

After sending 10 players to the NCAA last season, Chirico has managed to captain a young Chiefs team into sole possession of 2nd place in the EHL central division heading into the Christmas break.