Tuesday, February 7, 2017

Williams commits to Brockport



Tyler Williams, a defenseman for the Philadelphia Jr. Flyers, has committed to SUNY Brockport for the Fall of 2017. Due to an unfortunate injury, Williams' season was cut short this year, but in 21 games the '96 defenseman had 11 points.

“He’s what you would call a born leader," said Jr. Flyers head coach Jerry Domish. "Even though he wasn’t a captain in his first year, he just has that demeanor, and from day one he stepped in and did whatever was asked of him. The learning curve was small because he was well taught, and it’s going to be sad to see him leave, and sad to see his season end due to injury. He is a great kid to be around and to watch play. I see him playing quite a bit, he is a steady defenseman. He has offensive skill and defensive skill, he plays within the game and he doesn’t try to go outside the box. I wouldn’t say he's high risk, he is more high reward. I wish him the best!”

The native of Rome, New York played over 60 total games in two seasons in Philadelphia. During that time, Williams tallied 24 total points for the Jr. Flyers. Williams is eager and excited to return from injury this Fall in Brockport.

”I want to get in the lineup, going in as a freshman you usually don’t get much playing time. I want to work hard and put myself in position for solid playing time. I also want to thank my parents for supporting me, and thank my teammates and coaching staff as well. To the guys in the locker room, keep going and don’t stop working.”