Saturday, January 28, 2017

Brockport beats the 'Roos

The Brockport ice hockey team won a hard fought contest against SUNY Canton, improving to 8-10-1 on the season. The teams will square off again tomorrow night in Canton for the back end of the home-and-home.

Brian Hurlimann got the Golden Eagles on the board first in the opening period when he ripped a wrist shot passed the Kangaroo goaltender. Chris Pollini and Connor Hutchins had the assists on the goal, and Brockport would carry a 1-0 lead into the first break.

Canton used a power play opportunity to knot the game at 1-1 4:55 into the second stanza, but Brockport regained the lead just 0:22 seconds later when Kevin Chilton buried his first goal as a Golden Eagle, with Connor Hutchins once again providing the assist.

Canton made it two-for-two on the power play later on in the period, as Josh Sova took an assist from Tyler Bullard and buried it into a nearly wide open net, once again tying the game. The teams would finish the second period all tied up at two goals apiece.

After a hat-trick in last weekend's conference win over Cortland, Jake Taylor found the back of the net again 0:39 seconds into the third period of this game. The goal was originally called off, as the puck sat on the goal line for a moment, but the referees determined it was knocked in just before the whistle was blown.

Canton was able to even the score for a third time just before the midway point of the period, but Zac Sikich punched in the game-winner for the Golden Eagles with less than three minutes remaining in the game. After Connor Hutchins flung one on net that was saved by the Canton goaltender Josh Erickson, the puck came loose outside the crease just out of Erickson's reach, and Sikich came on to bury it over his shoulder. Hutchins and Hurlimann were each credited with assists, giving them a combined five points on the night.

Jake Moore has been terrific in net of late, and kept up that pace, stopping 40 of the 43 shots he faced for a 93% save percentage.