Saturday, January 11, 2014


Nick Marinac (Burlington, ONT) recorded three points for The College at Brockport men's ice hockey team as a well-balanced Golden Eagle offense downed Stonehill 7-2 in a non-conference matchup on Friday night at Tuttle North Ice Arena.

Brockport got on the board just 3:45 into the first period. Taking advantage of a power play, Marinac worked behind the net and found a wide open James Ryan (Richmond Hills, ONT) in front of the goal. Ryan ripped a shot right between the Stonehill goalkeepers pads.

Despite being down a goal, Stonehill continued to play high-pressure defense. The Sky Hawks almost tied things up with 12:56 left in the period as a shot went over goalkeeper Aaron Green's (Mt. Albert, ONT) head, but a Golden Eagle defender came up with the puck.

With just over 30 seconds to play in the period, Brockport took a 2-0 lead. Jake Taylor (Port Perry, ONT) carried the puck through the defense, leaving Chris Cangro (Holbrook, NY) open on the right post for the goal.

Brockport struggled to keep the puck out of their defensive end in the beginning of the second period, but the Golden Eagles managed to gain control back midway through. Brockport took a three goal lead at 10:21. Ryan passed the puck to Marinac who passed it back across to Andrew Parks (Orillia, ONT) who ripped a backhander between the goalkeepers pads and into the back of the net.

A minute later, Nate Pelligra (Webster, NY) kept the momentum on Brockport's side by stepping up and blocking a great shot from the Sky Hawks.

With time winding down in the second period, Bobby Chayka (Hardwick, NJ) ripped a shot from a few feet inside the blue line to put the Golden Eagles up 4-0.

Brockport continued to dominate in the opening of the third period. Marinac added a fifth goal for the Golden Eagles just 54 seconds into the period. Less than three minutes later, Taylor scored a goal to push the Brockport lead to six. Only 24 seconds after Taylor scored, Jeremy Defazio (Oakville, ONT) scored Brockport's seventh and final goal of the game.

Stonehill snapped a Brockport shutout with their first goal of the game at 9:43 in the third period. Five minutes later, the Sky Hawks scored their second goal and the final of the game on a power play.

The Golden Eagles finished the game with a slight 29-26 advantage in shots.

Green recorded eight saves in each period to finish with 24 total in 60:00 of play.
Brockport returns to action on Saturday, Jan. 18 for a 7 pm home matchup against Utica.