Tuesday, November 4, 2008


From the pages of the Brockport Stylus...

Brockport hockey team splits games between Morrisville and Hobart
Dale Budziszewski

If head coach Brian Dickinson stressed anything to his players during preseason, it was getting points early in the season. Too many times in the past, the Golden Eagle ice hockey team started slow and been forced to play catch-up in the second half of the season.

Brockport (2-1-0 overall, 1-0-0 SUNYAC) decided to make life a bit easier by knocking off Morrisville (0-4-0, 0-2-0) Saturday, Nov. 1, 5-3, in their conference opener.

After a scoreless opening period, Brockport capitalized on the power play, just two minutes into the second, when Mike Gershon beat Mustang goalie Dave Labaff with a slap-shot from the point. Three minutes later Dave McNab stole a pass, went in alone on Labaff and put the Golden Eagles up 2-0.

The eventual game winner came with eight minutes left in the period when James Cody stole the puck and skated in alone on Labaff. The Mustang goalie stopped Cody's shot, but Ryan Silveira, following up on the play, tapped in the rebound to give Brockport a 3-0 lead.

Morrisville crept back in the game with goals at the end of the second and midway through the third, but the hustle of James Cody would put them away for good.

The freshman stole another neutral zone pass, missed on his initial shot, but knocked in the rebound for his first tally of the year. Ray Tremblay added an empty netter with 63 seconds remaining.

Goalie Todd Sheridan made 42 saves, earning his second win in as many chances. He also leads all SUNYAC goalies with 1.00 goals against average and a .968 save percentage.

Friday, Brockport played a tough game against the Hobart Statesmen (3-1-0) but fell 3-2. It was a back-and-forth game until Hobart benefited from a questionable goal call in the second period.

Hobart, the USCHO.com eighth-ranked team in the nation, used a two-man advantage to take the lead, four minutes into the game. Before the period ended, Lucas Schott evened things with his first goal of the year, with assists going to Jason Gorrie and Sean O'Malley.

Freshman Oliver Wren, who made his collegiate debut, may have fell victim to a phantom goal when Hobart winger Jason Merritt took a long shot that rang of the post before Wren covered it up. Although the goal judge kept his finger off the button and the red light did not glow, the referee signaled a goal, and giving a 2-1 lead to the Statesmen.

A goal two minutes later would be enough for Hobart as Gershon's goal with 90 seconds to go in the second would be the closest Brockport would get.

The Golden Eagles head back on the road for a Friday night game in Geneseo, taking on an Ice Knights team that was taken to overtime by Morrisville last Friday, before topping them 2-1.

Puck drop is set for 7 p.m. All games can be heard through WBSU 89.1 The Point and online at www.891thePoint.com.