Tuesday, November 18, 2008


From the pages of today's Brockport Stylus....

Hockey rallies late to tie Potsdam
Dale Budzisewski

It took the Golden Eagles 126 minutes and 26 seconds ­- six periods and change - to break their scoring drought, and in doing so, saved their weekend. Comparatively, Ethiopian marathon runner Haile Gebreselassie, current holder of the world record, ran the Berlin Marathon this year in 123 minutes and 59 seconds.

Brockport (3-2-1 overall, 2-1-1 SUNYAC) fought hard for a 2-2 tie with Potsdam (2-2-1, 2-3-2) and made sure they did not go a weekend with a point. Brockport entered Saturday after a 5-0 loss to Plattsburgh, the No. 2 team in the country, while Potsdam came off a bad game, losing 7-2 in Geneseo.Both teams came out hungry in the first period, but neither team found the back of the net.

Potsdam was out-shot 13-10, but did have better scoring opportunities with traffic in front of goalie Todd Sheridan all night. The second period began as the first ended, with both teams struggling to find offense. With 8:56 remaining in the second, the Bears' top line lived up to its billing when leading scorer Connor Treacy beat Sheridan glove-side to take the 1-0 lead.

In the third period Potsdam took a penalty early and Brockport capitalized. The penalty ended, but Brockport maintained possession in the Bears, end. Tim Crowley and Dave McNab were worked the pick around until they got it to Jason Gorrie, who lifted a wrist shot past Potsdam freshman goalie Trevor O'Neill to tie up the score at one.

Play was even with five minutes to go until Mike Gershon was called on a questionable charging penalty. Potsdam scored with the man advantage and put Brockport back on their heels again.It was the then when the best line of the night finally shined. Head coach Brian Dickinson moved James Cody to a line with Justin Noble, centered by Ray Tremblay, hoping to get more offense.

Tremblay won a faceoff to the right of Potsdam goalie and Noble, the best player of the night for either team, rang a shot off the right post. Just as the crowd thought this was another missed opportunity, Cody followed up Nobles' shot with one of his own that beat O'Neill, again tying the game.

The overtime period ended without a winner, leaving each team one point for a tie.

The three stars for the game went to Noble, who along with his assists, was a one-man penalty killing machine. O'Neill, the second star, made 47 saves in his debut against Brockport and of course, Sheridan, the third star, made 36 saves. At least 10 of his saves would have beaten less capable goalies.

Brockport heads on the road this weekend for a pair of conference games. They play in Oswego Friday, then travel to Cortland for Saturday's game. Both games start at 7 p.m.

If you're not willing to make the trip, you can listen live at 89.1 FM or online at 891thepoint.com

Source: http://media.www.thestylus.net/media/storage/paper1380/news/2008/11/19/Sports/Hockey.Rallies.Late.To.Tie.Potsdam-3549611.shtml